[cmake-developers] How to deal with assembler files

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Aug 18 13:03:39 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 17 August 2010, Brad King wrote:
> On 08/17/2010 04:39 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Still, there is the preprocessing bug.
>
> I think some Fortran compilers need help with this too but we ignore
> them right now.  I prefer a solution that may work for both, but just
> for ASM for now.
>
> In general the languages should be independent.  Both parts of your
> proposal make ASM depend on C in one way or another.

IMO not really.
If the files are written that way (and built without cmake before), the
developers want to have them processed with the actual compiler, because
that's what they are always doing.
IMO that's not wrong, because if the compiler can also process assembler
files, then it can be considered also a valid "compiler" for assembler, no
matter that it is "also" a C compiler.

Maybe I didn't make one thing clear.
There are of course separate CMAKE_ASM_COMPILER, CMAKE_ASM_COMPILE_OBJECT etc.
variables. It's just that CMAKE_ASM_COMPILER will be the same executable as
CMAKE_C_COMPILER.

Alex