[cmake-developers] Mac OS X Frameworks extremely preliminary support

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 01:49:15 EDT 2006

Greetings,

When I first agreed to add support to CMake for Mac OS X Frameworks, I
thought I had lots of extra time available.  Fast forward several months now
and I see that I was way too optimistic there. :-(  However, I finally managed
to find enough time to get the process started.  So, I have an *extremely*
preliminary start of adding support to cmake for creating OS X frameworks.
It's probably done completely the wrong way, but hopefully it can at least
be a start. :-)

It currently can create a basic framework.  Nothing fancy, just the shared
library in the correct bundle.  You can link to the generated framework
but programs won't run against them right now since for some reason
the TARGET_INSTALLNAME_DIR property isn't being expanded and
it's being embedded directly into the library's install name.  That shouldn't
be too hard to find and fix and I'll look more into that tomorrow.

The patch to add this support (diffed against tonight's CVS) is at

http://wtl.wayfarer.org/cmake/

There's a patch and a new file (which should be placed in the Modules/
directory).  In addition, there's a bare bones sample test project in the test/
subdirectory at that weblink. (Currently only the framework is in the
CMakeLists.txt file.  I'm just currently linking the test program against
it manually.)

I've also set up a wiki page about framework support at

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:MacOSX_Frameworks

This is mainly just the framework specific portions broken out from

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Bundles_And_Frameworks

It has the current status and a link to the code on it.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.  I hope
to enhance this and start adding things like this fairly soon:

- public framework headers
- framework versioning
- framework resources

Cheers,