[Cdash] ITK appears in GDCM cdash

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Thu Sep 3 14:14:47 UTC 2009

The table in the link below is nice, it describes the number of bits you
need in a hash to keep a low probability of collision given the number of
entries you plan to scale to. The 50% chance of one collision of CRC32, or
any 32-bit hash algorithm, happens at 77K items (assuming it is completely
uniformly distributed), so you need to go well over 32 bits to avoid
collisions on 12 million or more items (as is obvious by the reason this
thread started). 64-bit gives a 1% chance of collision at 600 million
records, which may or may not be acceptable for cdash.
The reason 77K is so much less than the total space of 2^32 possible values
relates to the "birthday paradox" that probability professors love to
explain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem#Probability_table

Jeff

Jeff Baumes, Ph.D.