[Cdash] Feature request

Thompson, David C dcthomp at sandia.gov
Sun Mar 2 20:38:04 EST 2008

The new CDash is very nice and much easier on the eyes than the
old dashboard. That said, let me go into attack dog mode. :-)

One of the reasons I live in constant fear of committing to
the VTK repository is the barrage of e-mail notifying me
that there were errors, warnings, test failures, etc. The many
e-mail messages don't bother me nearly as much as having to
wade through a different web page for each build even though
many contain the same error messages. One thing that would be
really nice is a way to browse through all of the compiler warnings
or errors associated with a particular source file instead of looking
at the messages sorted by build. Because I tend to fix things by
editing one file at a time, not by editing all the files that caused one
build problems. I tried doing the latter for a while but after 20
or 30 builds it gets hard to remember which warnings you've fixed
for a previous build and which you haven't.

Another killer feature along those lines would be a way for a developer
to mark warnings/errors as "fixed" (or at least that a fix has been
attempted). While it would be nice for everyone to be able to see
that you are working on an issue, even just a browser cookie that
identified what warnings should be colored as "done" on my local
machine would be nice.

    Thanks,
    David