[VTK ARB] Planning the next ARB meeting

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 13:19:04 EDT 2010

Hi Jeff,

Since there is a lot of talk about wrapping, I should probably chip in
my two cents even though I'm not involved with the ARB.  You could
call me "an interested third party."  In addition to the wrapper
changes that were recently merged with VTK, I'm also working on a
"WrapVTK" project that contains several useful wrapper tools that I
also plan to merge.

The first two items will be merged into VTK as early as next week:

1) a new vtkParse that generates info for templates, constants, enums,
arbitrarily complex function pointers, multi-dimensional array
arguments, and that needs no BTX/ETX
2) a vtkWrapHierarchy tool for generating typing information for
wrapper-generators to use
3) a vtkParseProperties tool for extracting "properties" from VTK
header files by searching for Get/Set/Add/Remove methods, and storing
the properties in a simple struct for the wrappers to use
4) a vtkParseMerge tool for merging all inherited methods into a
single ClassInfo data structure
5) a vtkWrapXML tool for generating XML descriptions of VTK classes

All the above is done and ready for anyone to download at
http://github.com/dgobbi/WrapVTK .  It could easily be expanded upon
to also parse useful items like typedefs and to recognize
doxygen-style comments.  This is all intended to be a new but
backwards-compatible front end for the wrappers.

So all that I ask is that someone takes a look at it before the
meeting, it takes only two minutes to generate XML info for all the
VTK header files and it requires zero configuration apart from setting
VTK_DIR.  This isn't a VTK fork, it is a separate, small package that
builds on top of an existing VTK.  Of course, I would have no
objection if it was all moved into the VTK core eventually.

That's my two cents, plus a dime and a nickel.

   David