[VTK ARB] Git

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Nov 2 16:33:50 EST 2009

I have been reading about Git and Mercurial and I now think that which
one we use on the server side is not relevant to what people use on
their local machines. You can clone a Git repository using Mercurial
and you can commit change to a Git repository from Mercurial. As for
the Github issues, we would not use Github. We would run our own
Gitorious server since Gitorious itself is open-source. We could also
push repos to Github if we wanted to.

I was pushing for considering Mercurial as well as Git as an option
but I am now all for Git (on the server side). The main reason is that
there is not equivalent of Gitorious for  Mercurial. The code behind
bitbucket is not open-source. There is a particular and wonderful
use-case that Git+Gitorious would enable: running a continuous
dashboard before accepting any change to the central repo. Here is how
it would work:

* Developer makes changes and pushes them to his/her VTK fork on Gitorious
* User makes a "pull request" on Gitorious. This means : "I want these
changes on a certain branch of the official repo". This request is
automatically put on a queue
* The "repo robot" pulls the next request from the queue, tests the
changes and if the dashboard passes, it merges these changes to the
official repo. If the dashboard fails, the developer gets an e-mail
and changes are not merged.

This is a very short description of the sort of thing Git+Gitorious
would allow us to do and I think it's fantastic. It would allow us to
do have green(er) dashboards and it would allow us to collaborate with
groups that do not have write access to the repo. (This is all Bill
Hoffman's idea by the way). There is no clean way of doing this with
SVN. So a very enthusiastic two-thumbs-up to Git from me. And as I
mentioned, you can still use Mercurial on your machine.

-berk